Whew, it has been a cold start to winter here in Atlanta! So, what better time to share my hot cocoa recipe?
But, first, let me tell you about the near riot this caused when I debuted it at my Christmas party a few years ago.
I was standing at the slow cooker stirring the next batch (yes – this is one of those easy slow cooker recipes!) When a group of children and adults came charging in with cups in hands and chocolate on faces (I’ll let you decide whether it was the children or adults with chocolate on their faces).
In fact, word of this cocoa quickly spread to the kids on my street and they ended up rambling around my house with mugs in hand and chocolate on their faces.
Here’s the secret – I’m not much of a cook, baker or drink maker. This cocoa is so easy, even I can make it! And, a toppings bar makes you shine like a hostessing star!
- 1.5 cups whipping cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 6 c. milk (why not go for whole!)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk chocolate – your choice based on sweetness preferences)
- In a slow cooker, stir in all ingredients
- Cover and cook on low for two hours, stirring occasionally
- Once the chocolate is melted, switch to warming setting
- Stir before serving
TOPPING BAR IDEAS
- Whipped cream (of course!)
- Peppermint shavings, chunks or sticks
- White chocolate shavings
- Cocoa puff cereal
- Coconut shavings
- Almond slivers
- Cookie (especially biscotti) crumbles
- Marshmallow fluff
- Peanut butter chips
BONUS POINTS FOR ADULTS!
- Spike it with some peppermint schnapps and creme de cocoa for a mint chocolate
- Add whisky, bourbon or vodka to the toppings bar
- I’ve not tried it yet, but I’ve heard adding some red wine is a real delight (pro tip: use semisweet chocolate for this)